Does anyone else have kids that are crazy for a specific food — like, can’t get enough of it, buy ALL the bananas at the grocery store, level crazy? And then when you finally buy ALL the bananas, they decide they’re on a banana sabbatical?
Bananas and kiwis.
It makes me BaNaNaS.
And I know I’m supposed to take those speckled, neglected bananas and make banana bread. It’s what every mom blog on the planet preaches.
Except it never happens on a week when I actually have time to make banana bread. Maybe that happens to you too. And don’t worry. I figured out a solution.
A solution better than banana bread.
A solution that will have your kids eating out of the palm of your hand.
Or at least off your spoon.
And okay, maybe a slice of banana bread too. But banana bread on your schedule. Not the bananas!
That’s it. Super simple. Slice them up. Lay them out flat on a tray. And stick them in the freezer. After an hour or so, put them in a ziplock bag and walk away like a boss.
Freezing bananas for future use is super easy. Just make sure that they’ve started to spot at least a wee bit so their sugars are fully developed. This won’t be nearly as delicious with unripe bananas.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. This step isn’t completely necessary, but I hate washing dishes.
- Peel and slice your bananas. However many you have.
- Place banana slices on the cookies sheet so they aren’t touching. We don’t want them to freeze together.
- Place cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour or so. Long enough for the bananas to freeze completely.
- Dump banana slices into a freezer safe container for long term storage. Use within a year for optimum flavor.
Why like a boss?
Because now you can pull out banana whenever you need it, in any amount that you need it. You see, the freezing flat thing is to keep them from freezing into a ginormous frozen banana clump.
Ginormous frozen banana clumps aren’t good for anyone.
Certainly not amazeball moms that are about to walk into morning breakfast like a goddess ray of hope and sunshine for their kids.
Because, Ladies, we’re not just making banana bread.
Oh no, no, no.
We’re serving up banana ice cream.
And since one of the magickal properties for bananas is increasing both luck and prosperity, we’re sending those kids out the door with a generous leg up.
Of course, one of the other magickal properties is counteracting impotency and increasing virility so you might want to hand a bowl to your husband as well.
I don’t know your life.
But for real, give him a bowl anyway. Bananas are good for everybody.
You can learn all about the magickal and medicinal properties of BANANAS in my Digging Deeper herbal educational series, or you can just keep scrolling the recipe for banana ice cream. Because now that I know how to not throw bananas away every other week, I am bananas for bananas.
Banana Ice Cream
Are you ready for the easiest recipe on the blog? You can definitely serve this up as dessert, but it’s healthy enough that I actually like to serve it up for breakfast. The kids think I’m a badass and I know they’re starting their day off with a nutritional bang. It’s a win-win.
Oh…and you really only need the bananas to make this work. The other two ingredients just make it that much nummier.
- Grab some frozen bananas slices out of the freezer. Eyeball for size. Now toss them in the blender.
- Drizzle some honey over the banana slices. How much? It depends on how sweet you like it. If you need to add more at the end, no harm done. Just blend in more.
- Add a splash of milk. How much? It depends on your preferred consistency. Give it a whirl and add more as needed.
- You guessed it. Blend your ingredients together. Stop and taste often the first time you make it. You’ll be whipping this together without having to taste it in no time.
Happy Additions and Finishes
A sprinkling of sea salt or any large, flake salt (for finishing)
Other frozen fruit
Replace the milk with nut or seed milk.
Replace the honey with maple syrup.
Replace the bananas with other frozen fruit and make other fruit ice cream.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am a not medical professional and everything written here is a product of my own research. Don’t take any advice given here over that of a trained doctor. If you ingest any herbs, always make sure that you’re 100% sure that they’re safe. If you’re pregnant or giving to a child, always consult a doctor before ingesting herbs and plant you aren’t familiar with. Magickal instruction and spells are for personal entertainment purposes only. The desired result/outcome cannot be guaranteed as a result of using any magickal item, and should not be used as a replacement for medical/professional assistance.
1 thought on “Bananas for Bananas … and Ice Cream”