Do you ever have wild hair, can’t sleep, 2am, weird internet searches? Mine was bananas. Literally, bananas. I had just gotten done doing a recipe write up and trailed down a rabbit hole.
Okay, I’m going to admit here that I wasn’t 100% sure I would be able to find any magickal information on bananas. Medicinal, yes. But magickal?
I know, I know. Silly me. I mean magick is everywhere. All over the planet. In every plant, every rock, every animal, every person. But I always have a very European forest witch thing in my head before I open my eyes to other possibilities. But oh…once I open my eyes to the possibilities.
It turns out, I’m not the first person to question the magickal properties and associations of bananas!
I know! Bananas!
I’m sorry. I’ll stop. Probably not. So many excuses to keep exclaiming, BANANAS! I’ll try to restrain myself. Scroll through the entire article to find the magickal, medicinal, household, and culinary uses of banana including our favorite recipes.
Other Names: Mai’a (Hawaiian name), Bacove, Sanging
Parts Used: Leaves and Berries
Did you know…
The banana is actually a berry?!
In Hawaii, it was once punishable by death for a woman to eat a banana.
In Thailand, it is believed that spirits called Nang Tani inhabit banana trees. They can be either good or evil.
In Malaysian folklore, the banana tree is inhabited by a malevolent female spirit called the Pointianak. The Pointianak is a vampire-type spirit, and very bloodthirsty.
Magickal Associations and Correspondences
Deities: Buddha, The God, Kanaloa
Chakras: Sacral, Solar Plexus
Banana’s Magickal Properties
- Resilience through change
- Wealth and Prosperity
- Increased sexual stamina
- Male Potency
- God symbol
- Protection from accidents
- Use the leaves of bananas to symbolize money in wealth and money spells.
- The leaves, fruit, and flowers can all be used in spells for prosperity.
- Plant a banana plant around your house to bring good luck to your household.
- It is said that if a woman gets married under a banana tree, she will be blessed with good luck.
- Carry a banana with you to protect yourself from harm and accidents.
- Carry a banana charm or incorporate bananas into your diet before embarking on a new spiritual quest. Because bananas grow upward, they stimulate the connection to the divine.
- It’s no surprise that these phallic shaped fruits work wonders on increasing lust. Use powdered banana in spells for lust and sexuality.
- Banana makes a great addition to any spells for curing impotency.
- Again, because of the banana’s shape, it is bursting with masculine energy, making it a great alter symbol for gods.
- Rubbing the white part of the banana peel on your teeth can help whiten them.
- Cut the banana peel into small pieces and put it around your garden to deter aphids.
- Banana peels can be used to polish shoes and silverware.
- Polish your shoes with the inside of a banana peel then wipe clean with a cloth.
- Banana peels make an excellent, nutrient-rich addition to the compost pile.
- contains a compound that produces serotonin
- good source of potassium
- good source of fiber
- Bananas contain a generous amount of iron, which can help when preventing anemia.
- Bananas are famously high in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure, keep the mind focused, and help the heart maintain a regular heartbeat.
- Bananas are incredibly nutritious, containing not only a notable amount of potassium, but iron, calcium, manganese, B6, and folate, among other powerful nutrients.
- Bananas are high in fiber, which helps regulate the digestive system. It can also help keep you feeling full longer, making it the perfect breakfast companion.
- Research has shown that children who eat one banana a day have a lower risk of developing asthma.
- Bananas are considered a BRAT food (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) a recommended diet when dealing with diarrhea.
- Bananas contain tryptophan, which can help with memory retention and improving mood.
- Banana peels are edible too and full of nutrients such as potassium and lutein, which can help prevent cataracts and is good for eye health.
- Use banana peels to provide soothing relief to bug bites and poison ivy rashes.
- Press a banana peel to your forehead when you have a headache to relieve pain.
- Wrapping a banana peel around a splinter can help shift the splinter, making it easier to remove.
- Banana peels are a natural wart remover. Simply tape a piece of the peel over the wart and change it out regularly. The wart should be gone within 1-2 weeks.
- Rubbing banana peels on areas prone to acne can help clear up blemishes.
- Mix banana with coconut oil, olive oil and honey for a hair mask that can help with shiny, moisturized hair.
- Bananas can be used to make an excellent face mask. Simply mash up some banana in a bowl, apply the mashed banana to your face, leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse. The potassium and vitamin B in banana is great for the skin and will leave it nice and moisturized.
Magickal, Medicinal, and Culinary.
It’s no surprise to anyone that bananas are often eaten with no thought at all to their magickal or medicinal properties because they’re just so darn good. Sweet and delightful on the tongue, bananas are often the very first solid food that we give to babies. The continue to be a favorite for children and adults alike. But do you know all the different ways that bananas can be enjoyed? Fresh, raw, fried, baked, dehydrated, and even frozen. Keep scrolling for some of our favorite banana recipes and preservation styles.
Freezing Bananas for future use.
by Once Upon A Chef
by Wide Open Eats
by Spoonful of Flavor
by Ahead of Thyme
by Cookie and Kate
by The Spruce Eats
by Celebrating Sweets
Okay, so we might be a wee partial to bananas in baked goods and breakfast foods, but can you blame us? So delicious.
I haven’t tried it myself, but apparently banana tea will even help you sleep at night.
Continue your magickal and medicinal exploration by Digging Deeper into other herbs and essential oils.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am a not medical professional and everything written here is a product of my own research. Don’t take any advice given here over that of a trained doctor. If you ingest any herbs, always make sure that you’re 100% sure that they’re safe. If you’re pregnant or giving to a child, always consult a doctor before ingesting herbs and plant you aren’t familiar with. Magickal instruction and spells are for personal entertainment purposes only. The desired result/outcome cannot be guaranteed as a result of using any magickal item, and should not be used as a replacement for medical/professional assistance.