Okay, so some of this is copied from my store because they are connected, but some of it is specific to the website. I hope it helps you get to know me a little better and answer any questions that you might have. If you have a burning desire to know something that isn’t covered here, leave a comment down below and maybe I’ll put together a more in-depth blog post to cover them. If you haven’t visited the store yet, just click on Apothecary.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are all of your reviews two years old?
My family and I made the decision to sell our home and travel full time for a year. During that time my shop was on vacation. Also during that time one of my children became seriously ill which extended my hiatus to the full two years. Thank you 2020. We are once again settled and my son is for the most part back to being a healthy teenager so it is time for me to get back in business. I thank all of my previous customers who stayed in touch during that time and can’t wait to serve new ones now that I am open again. For everyone that followed along on our travels, I hope the new layout of the website still offers you something of value.
2. Will you be expanding your available products?
Yes! I live by the motto “start where you are” and so that’s what I did with reopening the shop. As time and availability allow, I will be offering larger sizes of herbs as well as apothecary collections, magickal collections, and more in-depth tarot readings. I try to introduce education on my website at the same time as releasing new products in the store so that you are best equipped to move forward in your own practice, whether that be culinary, medicinal or magickal.
3. Why are your products listed as organic but not certified organic?
My products are organically sourced from farmers and wholesalers who produce, cultivate, and clean according to organic standards. These spices, herbs, and teas are produced in full accordance to organic standards but cannot be labeled as certified organic because my facility is not certified for organic production.
4. Are your essential oils organic?
No. Essential Oils are certified non-GMO and carry a Seed to Seal standard, but they are not certified organic.
5. What precautions are taken in the manufacture of your products?
All products are homemade using sterile instruments and the highest of standards in regard to clean environment and utensils.
6. Are your products approved by the FDA for any specific purpose?
All products are NOT approved or evaluated by the FDA. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or illness.
7. Are you a doctor?
I am not a doctor. I hold no certifications or licenses. Any medical claims are based on my own herbal studies. I encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions before partaking of any substance, natural or otherwise. By purchasing this product, you are releasing the maker/manufacturer from product liability and assuming all risks and liability for your own health and well-being.
8. Where did you learn about herbs?
Traditional folk medicine is my inspiration. I have spent a lifetime captivated by nature and the idea that everything we need to stay healthy has been provided for us by her. I have extensively studied the medicinal actions of plants and their constituents upon the body for the past fifteen years. This study includes paid courses, extensive free research, and countless hours studying under other herbalists.
9. Where can I learn about herbs?
It is my belief that anyone can learn about herbal actions without having to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for someone to hold their hand and issue them a piece of paper. That includes you. You can find my own complete herbal write-ups for free at http://www.witchygypsymomma.com. Again, I encourage you to jump into your own education and research. You are smart enough to recognize what plants are safe enough for your comfort level and to prepare them in ways to benefit your body. You can do this!
10. How do I store dried herbs and how long will they last?
Whole herbs will last the longest. Powders lose their flavor the fastest. Grind as needed. Store dried herbs in airtight glass jars. Keep your jars in a cool, dark place or at least out of direct sunlight. No matter how pretty they look there, storing your spices next to the stove is not the best idea. Stored this way, dried herbs will generally last 1-3 years.
11. You say you’re a kitchen witch. What does that mean?
It means I never have to choose between meals, medicine, and magick! A kitchen witch is generally a solitary witch that practices most of her craft in the kitchen with herbs and other foods. All categories of witchcraft share a lot of overlap which is awesome, but I’ve always been particularly drawn to home and hearth and all of the healing that happens in the kitchen and the garden. My spoon is my wand. I have an entire block of athames. My cauldron and my kettle are always at the ready, and I always have time for a visit over a cup of tea. I suppose the easiest way to sum it up is that it is a very motherly type of witchcraft.
12. Magick – With a K?
Yes. Magick with a K. There is a lot of controversy over the K and whether or not it should be included and even where and when it originated. Magic with a C is either something governed by supernatural forces or a trick. Magicians base their whole careers on sleight of hand. I am not a magician. I am a witch. And while there is certainly spirituality involved in my practice, there is also a lot of science. So I include the K as a nod to the occult history of my practice and the science that bases so many of my spells.
13. Where did you learn about the magickal properties of plants?
I learned about the magickal properties of plants in the same way that I learned about the medicinal ones—hours, days, months, years of poring over research. There are no paid courses under my belt in this subject, but there is a whole library of books, a five foot feisty package of intuition, and a lifetime of experience. Of course we’re never done learning. We witches practice our craft which means we’re always growing and searching and discovering.
14. Where can I learn about the magickal properties of plants?
You can find magickal properties, associations, correspondences, and even simple spells within my herbal write-ups at www.witchygypsymomma.com. But if you’re looking for a completely unbiased answer, I would say start at your local library. Witchcraft is becoming a much more recognized and accepted practice and so many local libraries are beginning to carry books on the subject. Bookstores have shelves full of course. But really, there are a lot of good sources online as well. Just make sure you’re using reputable sources and verifying the information against more than one source.
15. Is Tarot for real?
I think so. Tarot card reading is a time honored tradition of divination by drawing and interpreting cards that relate to a particular question or situation. They can reveal the influences from the past, as well as the present, and even give insight into the future based on the current energy surrounding the questioner. Now of course, energy ebbs, flows, and changes so no reading is absolute and set in stone. It is important to remember that it is simply the current interpretation of the energy and often the same question will be repeated after changes have been made to understand how those changes have affected the situation.
16. Does a Tarot reading really work if I’m not there to pick the cards?
Absolutely. Divine energy is inside and flows around everything. That includes you and me. Have you ever just known something has happened to someone even though you’re nowhere near them? You probably had a really strong connection with them and the energy that flowed between you alerted you that something had happened. Or when you experience deja vu? Yep. Tapping into that energy. The idea is that by focusing my intent, my energy, on you and your question, I can tap into that energy as well to influence the cards since it is your energy and not your actual touch that affect them.
17. Are there any restrictions to your Tarot readings?
Yes. I will not read for anyone under the age of 18. I will not directly question matters of life and death. We’re all going to die some day. We don’t need the details. That also includes pregnancy. I’m a mother of four who struggled to conceive and then miscarried. I know the emotions that go into those circumstances. Sometimes the cards are loud enough not to be denied in these matters, but I will not ask about them directly. I am also not a doctor or lawyer. By law I can not give legal or medical advice. By law I also have to state that these readings are for entertainment purposes only. I make no guarantees to the outcomes of any reading or any other magickal matters.
18. Full Disclaimer and Limit of Liability Statement
I am not a doctor. I hold no certifications or licenses. Any medical claims are based on my own herbal studies. All products are NOT approved or evaluated by the FDA. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or illness. Traditional folk medicine is my inspiration. I encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions before partaking of any substance, natural or otherwise. By purchasing this product, you are releasing the maker/manufacturer from product liability and assuming all risks and liability for your own health and well-being.
All products are homemade using sterile instruments and the highest of standards in regard to clean environment and utensils. My products are organically sourced from farmers and wholesalers who produce, cultivate, and clean according to organic standards. These spices, herbs, and teas are produced in full accordance to organic standards but cannot be labeled as certified organic because my facility is not certified for organic production. If a product is not organic it will be labeled as such in the product description. Essential Oils are certified non-GMO and carry a Seed to Seal standard, but they are not certified organic.
For legal reasons, magickal items sold online must be specified as for personal entertainment purposes only. The desired result/outcome cannot be guaranteed as a result of using any magickal item, and should not be used as a replacement for medical/professional assistance. Tarot readings and other methods of divination are also for entertainment purposes only. I am not a doctor or a lawyer and am therefore unable to provide medical or legal advice.
19. Privacy Statement
Information I Collect
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you gave directly or authorized Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, mailing address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you contact me directly.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
• Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
How Long I Store Your Information
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
• Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Laurie Littleton, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at witchygypsymomma.com.